Whitepaper: Event App
An app for every event
- Why create an event app?
- What are common event solutions and their limitations
- What are the benefits of an event app?
- How to create an event app
The real value of event apps is being enjoyed by the organizations using event apps for the multiple events that are run every week. Having an event app for these smaller, more frequent events, gives attendees more engagement and involvement with the event, leading to a better experience with your organization. In return, you receive more feedback and user data from every event, more opportunities to optimize and improve your events, respond directly to attendees questions, plus it’s easier to collate data and report on multiple events.
Fliplet offers a powerful solution to create just one multi-event app that can be used by all of your attendees. Ultimately, we believe that organizations should have an app for every event, giving your attendees the best possible experience they can have.
In the following whitepaper, we detail some of the common limitations of existing event solutions and the benefits of using a solution like Fliplet to create mobile apps. We’ve also included a simple 6 step guide on how you can create and deploy an event app in under 2 weeks.
- Increased data collection in the form of usage data, surveys, polls and questions enabling businesses to follow up with their event attendees more effectively
- A reduction in time to create and launch new apps by utilizing a platform that supports multiple apps
- Engage with your attendees before, during and after events, enabling them to view relevant pre-event materials and offer real-time feedback on their smartphone or tablet
- Save time and money by not having to design and print handouts. Event apps can take as little as 30 minutes to configure for new events - a significant saving over designing and printing
- Reduced environmental impact as there are no print costs or waste after events
- Reduced privacy risk by avoiding printouts of attendee data with digital check-in
- Reduce attendee effort to attend your events by offering an easy registration option if they have registered for a previous event
- Update the app based on changes to the event anytime using live in-app-updates
- Send push notifications to keep attendees engaged and aware of upcoming events or sessions
If they don’t have a mobile app, organizations usually have one of the following event solutions. This results in a number of limitations or frustrations for users leading to limited benefits for attendees and organizers. We assessed the most common solutions and their limitations.
Brochure / Handout
- Printing and environmental costs, which hits the organizations bottom line as well as it’s ecological reputation
- Unable to change content after it’s been printed, so there a risk of the material becoming outdated quickly
- No analytics to understand what information was most valuable to attendees
- Feedback can only be gained via paper or a separate survey method and would take a considerable amount of time to collate and analyze
- Pre and post event materials are not available in the same location as the event information, leading to additional complexity for attendees to access them
- No push notifications to direct attendees to important materials or session start times
- Poor user experience on mobile compared to using a mobile app
- Slow compared to a mobile app leading to reduced usage
- Unreliable compared to a mobile app that works regardless of the internet or network connection
- Notifications not available on web, so users aren’t informed of important news and information about the event unless they view the website
- No offline capabilities, therefore functionality such as submitting forms and answering questionnaires can only be completed when the user has a wifi signal
- May not be mobile optimized therefore inefficient to use on a mobile device
"With our event app, we’re now receiving hundreds more pieces of feedback than we did before. We’re getting real-time information because we’re able to ask for the right information at the right time"
By using a solution like Fliplet to create an event app, you can expect the following benefits:
Improved usability for attendees and organizers
- Engage with attendees before, during and after the events using built-in surveys and notifications
- Tailored apps for every event - create bespoke versions with relevant and customized content
- Easy access to reference event presentations and materials after the event to ensure they get the most from the event
- Our apps automatically cache content for reliable offline access, so attendees can view the app regardless of their network connection
- Include a tutorial to explain to users how to get the most from the app
- Attendees can easily bookmark or save events to see a list of the specific speakers or sessions they want to attend
- Make it easy to see details about who’s speaking and attending the event with the visual directory for speaker and attendees - so they can make an informed decision about which speakers to see and attendees they might like to connect with
- Ability for attendees to update their profiles (admins have rights), ensure all contact and bio information is up to date
- Interactive floor plans and maps, make it easy for attendees to find the venue and rooms where the sessions are being held, plus find food and amenities
- Remove the paper trail and ensure an accurate collection of data for the event with in-app registration and check-in management. And importantly make sure that attendees can quickly go through the registration process
- Ability to host multiple events in a single app. Easily create the next event within the existing app
- Admins can manage the main event details and see data submitted by attendees via a secure section of the app
- Instant alerts and up to date news feeds featuring key information during the event. Attendees can add content and feel part of the event cementing the relationship they have with your organization
- Collate valuable event feedback through surveys and polls to understand how attendees felt about the event, what could be done better, what was done well, suggestions for future events
- Encourage attendees to connect through chat. Providing a networking opportunity for attendees could be a key draw for attendance. It also means that attendees will have another reason to use the app while in attendance
- Use social feeds, promote the event through attendees social networks, posting photos with relevant hashtags will help to create exposure for your event
- Push notifications for event updates and alerts. This will increase engagement with the app especially before and during the event, helping attendees to complete mandatory registration procedures, booking for limited seating sessions etc
- Attendee directory enables attendees to learn more about the people attending and potentially grow their network
- Use live polling to engage the attendees and results can be shown immediately on the app
- Understand your users with data-driven analytics to track screen views, popular posts, active users, tasks completed and more. Improve the effectiveness of communications through optimization of popular content and ensure key information is surfaced in the app
- Live data can be viewed on the app allowing real-time support and updates
- Understand each individual user to optimize the app. Ensure users get the most out of the app, streamline processes and deliver cost efficiency and time savings
Improved security and distribution
- Fliplet offers Apple and Android apps for smartphone and tablet, plus web apps to ensure access on any platform
- Conforms to IT security standards, encrypts data in transit and rest, offers SSO. IT departments don’t need to make any special dispensations for using Fliplet to create a training app, as it can meet already established security protocols
- Integrates with SQL databases or APIs via an easy to configure on-premise tool. No additional tools or systems required for IT teams to acquire, reducing the unknowns and ensuring a smooth transition to using Fliplet apps
“Using Fliplet really allowed us to give the ‘wow’ factor to our clients. They’re so impressed that we have an app for our in-house sessions, and we love the amount of feedback we’re now receiving as a result of implementing the multi-event app solution”
Fliplet’s training app can be integrated, secured, tested and deployed in under 2 weeks and with minimal IT resources.
- Complete a spreadsheet template that captures the agenda, attendee, speaker and data about the event:
This spreadsheet can be uploaded to the Fliplet app in just a few minutes.
- Upload the venue and other relevant information about the event into the app.
- Apply your brand colors and fonts to the app:
Fliplet’s app templates can be rapidly branded to ensure the app looks like it was built for you. This typically takes about 15 minutes.
- Deploy your app:
Fliplet apps can be deployed via MDM, private app stores or public apps stores. For internal apps, we recommend MDM or private app store.
- Analyze your app’s usage:
Using Fliplet’s built-in analytics you can confirm the app's usage and what users find useful.
- Training and app optimization:
Fliplet will train your team to modify and optimize the app.
Any questions? Get in touch hello@Fliplet.com