Whitepaper: Training App
Improve organizational productivity, qualifications and retention
- Why create a training app?
- What are common training solutions and their limitations
- What are the benefits of a training app?
- How to create a training app
Effective training requires the material to be delivered when a user needs it, in an easy to access and consume method. Learning research suggests that people regularly access educational material on their mobile devices. 51% of people find materials when they need it, 44% learn during the evenings and weekends, and 24% access learning on the commute to and from work1, highlighting that a training solution needs to be accessible outside of the office and offline to maximize staff learning.
Further research of over 5,000 participants confirms that if learning innovation is done well, you can expect an 18% increase in staff satisfaction/engagement, 14% increase in organizational productivity, 16% increase in qualifications gained by staff and a 7% reduction in staff turnover2.
Fliplet offers a powerful solution to create training apps that can be used with your staff or clients.
Our extensive experience working with enterprise organizations has found that most businesses use one of the following 5 training solutions:
- Face to face classes
- Online training videos
- Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Access to a training website not designed for mobile
- Access to a mobile optimized training website
Ultimately, we believe that training apps should contain multiple learning formats and be accessible wherever you are, which will result in higher retention of information, higher engagement and more completions of training materials. With Fliplet this is achievable.
In the following whitepaper, we delve into the issues faced by firms with their existing training options and the benefits of using a solution like Fliplet. We’ve also included a simple 6 step guide on how you can create and deploy a training app in under 2 weeks.
- Staff are already using their mobile devices for work, with 86% checking email and 67% accessing shared documents, meaning an internal news app would enable stafff to consume content in their preferred manner3
- Use push notifications to quickly notify users of critical news and emergency announcements on their mobile devices. 100% coverage can be achieved by mandating users enable push notifications
- Staffbase research published on Harvard Business Review found that when apps are used by leaders to provide training for customer-facing staff, customer satisfaction can rise at least 10%. For every 10 percent increase in customer satisfaction, organizations increase revenue by 7%4
- Access real-time data showing the level of competency of your staff
- An app is the perfect delivery method for microlearning (short, focused, bite-sized learning designed to be easily accessible, quickly completed and applied, typically in rich media formats) which has been proven to be an effective method to deliver training and assess competency. Research at Germany’s Dresden University of Technology found that microlearning drives 22% more retention than long-form training5
- Use push notification to quickly notify and engage users by mandating 100% of users enable push notifications. Therefore users receive all course reminders and deadlines on their mobile devices
If they do not have a mobile training app, organizations usually have some of the following training solutions. This results in a number of limitations or frustrations for users leading to limited benefits for staff and customers. We assessed the most common solutions and their limitations.
Face to face classes
- Limited functionality of presentation slides, unable to provide any interactivity with the materials
- Unable to cater for different speeds of learning, some people require more time to retain and recall information while others may only need half the time allocated
- Often relies on participants taking notes for retention of information, which may not be referred to beyond the class time, or be misunderstood or out of context when reviewed at a later date
- Materials are emailed afterwards and may not contain the context required for a full understanding
- Limited data on how the training was understood and retained, often relying on a written response, filled in quickly at the end of the face to face class before the information has been digested and put into practice
- Unable to cater to the preferred learning styles of individuals
- Limited feedback to optimize future training, often no easy to use channel for receiving feedback after the class has completed
- Attendees need to travel and take time away from their roles
- Potential additional costs if booking rooms in hotels plus additional AV costs
- Trainer/speaker needs to be present
- Limited to a specific time and date, so can’t be completed whenever it suits the individual
Online training videos
- Relies on email or intranet reminders to complete training
- To check the users understanding of the training video, the quiz/questions would sit in a separate place, either online or sent via email
- Limited to one delivery method - video. Some people prefer to read about a subject, rather than sit through a video, and it can be difficult to find relevant material quickly on a video
- Strong internet connection required to play videos, which limits where an individual can complete the training
- Lack of interaction or engagement with the material
Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- LMSs often have a poor design and method of training delivery compared to the latest mobile apps. Staff often find them less engaging and therefore they do not engage as well as they would with newer technologies
- Often an LMS delivers a limited mobile experience or may not meet your brand or design preferences
- LMSs can sometimes not be accessed outside of the office, inhibiting the ability for staff to learn at time and place that suits them
- Often an LMS relies on email and cannot use newer notification technologies available to mobile apps
Access to a training website not designed for mobile
- Limited access to relevant company materials out of the office, restricting specific tasks to the office or VPN connection
- Limited analytics detail, restricted information about how individual users use training or their level of competency
- Limited feedback or quantitative data, lack of understanding of users opinions through surveys and polls
- No recommendations from colleagues
- No ability to share and leverage knowledge from senior colleagues or peers
- Email only ability to set reminders about course deadlines
Access to a mobile optimized training website
- Not available offline, inefficient use of staff time waiting for content to become available when online access resumes
- Notifications not available on mobile, therefore course deadlines and reminders are limited to email only
- Mobile access fails to meet IT security standards, either limiting access to training modules and courses on mobiles or leaving information vulnerable to security breaches
"Since launching our training app using Fliplet, we’ve seen a substantial uplift in the completion of training courses. Our staff are much more engaged with the material and we’re getting detailed and actionable insights into how the apps are being used"
By using a solution like Fliplet to create a training app, you can expect the following benefits:
- Our apps automatically cache content for reliable offline access, therefore staff have uninterrupted access to internal news regardless of their internet access
- Receive relevant training opportunities by selecting topics relevant to you. Some modules can be made mandatory based on the user’s role, department or country. Staff receive the training information that is pertinent to their role remit and responsibilities
- Powerful search and filter functionality that dynamically adjusts based on the courses, videos, podcasts and classroom-based lessons provided so users can easily find the information or details required. Less time is spent on searching and more on choosing training
- Motivate staff using gamification, including progress checks and awards
- Save articles or tests and easily find them later. Staff can start something on their phone and complete it on a laptop if there is a large amount of information to consume
- Easily update the app to reduce the chance staff will have access to out of date information. Individuals and teams can manage content updates without interrupting IT resource
- Complete surveys and questionnaires to confirm understanding of the learning material
- Use the learning media that suits you - maximize learning on the go with microlearning features and podcasts to complement your existing training methods
- Learn from the experience within your team. Make it easy for staff to create and search a knowledge library of recommendations and advice
- Set reminders about course deadlines. Include learning objectives and regulatory compliance with notifications and alerts
- Communicate urgent and important announcements direct to a users device, prompting them to find out more from the app. This ensures the least amount of delay between staff receiving announcements and taking action when required
- Users can set preferences for which training categories or topics to be notified about. This ensures that the right information is prioritized for staff, reducing the amount of time wasted on scrolling through content not relevant to their role
- Create a central repository for files, documents and materials, available online and offline. Save valuable staff time that could be wasted looking for information
- Direct access to support from training managers or peers to aid learning, understanding and retention of information
- Personal development plans track and motivate individuals to complete training and result in a higher engagement with the materials
- Automatic prompts and alerts let users know when training is available and due for completion
- Understand your users with data-driven analytics to track screen views, popular courses/learning modules, active users, tasks completed and more. Improve the effectiveness of training through optimization of popular and mandatory modules and ensure key information is surfaced in the app
- Understand each individual user to make sure they have understood the material and reinforce areas that need improvement. Ensure users get the most out of the app, streamline processes and deliver cost efficiency and time savings
- Understand lesson effectiveness and identify knowledge gaps. Make better-informed decisions, understand staff thoughts and have efficient training materials through surveys and polls. Gather data quickly and efficiently to turnaround quick responses and deliver results back to the business
- Compulsory training and tests can be completed anywhere and results made available immediately
Improved security and distribution
- Fliplet offers Apple and Android apps for smartphone and tablet, plus web apps to ensure access on any platform
- Conforms to IT security standards, encrypts data in transit and rest, offers SSO. IT departments don’t need to make any special dispensations for using Fliplet to create a training app, as it can meet already established security protocols
- Integrates with SQL databases or APIs via an easy to configure on-premise tool. No additional tools or systems required for IT teams to acquire, reducing the unknowns and ensuring a smooth transition to using Fliplet apps
“Report production time has been cut by 50% compared to using PowerPoint, and feedback from our clients has been extremely positive”
Fliplet’s training app can be integrated, secured, tested and deployed in under 2 weeks and with minimal IT resources.
- Upload your training content into Fliplet:
Fliplet supports text, quizzes, assessments, videos, PFD and other office formatted documents.
- Integrate an authentication system so users can log in on different devices to continue their learning on the device that suits them:
Fliplet supports email verification, login, or single sign on using SAML2, ADFS or oAuth2.
- Apply your brand colors and fonts to the app:
Fliplet’s app templates can be rapidly branded to ensure the app looks like it was built for you. This typically takes about 15 minutes.
- Deploy your app:
Fliplet apps can be deployed via MDM, private app stores or public apps stores. For internal apps, we recommend MDM or private app store.
- Analyze your app’s usage:
Using Fliplet’s built in analytics you can confirm the app's usage and what users find useful.
- Training and app optimization:
Fliplet will train your team to modify and optimize the app.
Any questions? Get in touch hello@Fliplet.com