How Compliance Can Be Improved Using Mobile Apps
Ensuring effective compliance controls is an essential part for many businesses, particularly those in regulated industries. From organizational policies to goals and values, it is often a challenge to ensure that every single employee is up to date with the latest regulations or that they have access to them while away from the office.
Mobile apps offer a solution to this problem by enabling employees to access compliance regulations whenever and wherever needed. This is particularly useful when it comes to employees who are abroad or away from the office.
One of the greatest challenges of businesses is ensuring that training programmes can deliver the right training in line with the latest regulations.
Mobile apps also offer vast opportunities for delivering this training effectively.
In this article we look at how exactly mobile apps can help businesses do all this:
- By offering clear and concise information on compliance policies to employees, wherever they are.
- By helping to train new or existing employees on the company’s compliance regulations.
Compliance information app
A compliance app is a great way of displaying important regulatory information in a comprehensive yet easy to navigate way.
Policies on all areas from gifts and entertainment to charitable contributions can be displayed in the app and accessed via a menu leading to the relevant sections.
A compliance app may also be useful in dealing with difficult or unexpected situations, such as natural disasters or unannounced inspections. By having all the necessary information available in an app, employees can ensure that they can act quickly while meeting company policies.
There are also other ways of making the app as relevant as possible, for instance by enabling GPS to customize the app information to a specific country.
Compliance training app
The second area where a compliance app can be used is training.
Training apps can be used to deliver knowledge on compliance policies to employees whenever and wherever needed. This can enable employees to access it out of hours and when it is most convenient for them to train.
Many companies deliver training programmes designed to ease employees’ familiarity with compliance regulations.
A mobile app can deliver these programmes in an interactive way and enable employees to complete in their own time.
Mobile training programmes can be tailored to each employee by assigning them courses based on their needs and risk levels.
By making these programmes interactive, employees can also be encouraged to engage with training more highly and to become eager to increase their knowledge.
Apps can do this by incorporating media such as videos, podcasts, interactive graphs and infographics, all of which aid learning by presenting information in a visually stimulating way.
Another way of increasing engagement and learning is by including quiz functions that allow employees to test their knowledge.
Features of compliance training apps
- Task-based quizzes. The most powerful way to deliver aid employee learning of compliance information is to break it down into tasks. These could be tasks based on day-to-day situations, or based on potential future scenarios.
- “Intelligent” quizzes. Quizzes could also be improved by making them responsive to the performance of the quiz-taker. So for instance they could be designed in a cascading format, so that certain answers lead to certain questions. In this way, it can be ensured that employees test themselves in the areas that most need it.
Quizzes can also be designed in a way that only once the quiz-taker has reached a desired level of performance can they move on to the next level or module.
- Gamification. Gamification features such as points and badges can be used as psychological incentives for employees to perform better. They do this by appealing to users’ sense of achievement, encouraging them to accomplish higher scores or to perform better than their peers. This also helps users set their own standards of achievement and track their performance and success.
- Offline functionality. An important element of any compliance app will be making app information available offline. This will ensure that users can reach important information whenever and wherever they are.
- Data collection. Finally, training functions such as quizzes offer employers the perfect opportunity to measure the knowledge and progress of their employees. This can be measured using tracking software and delivered in the form of reports that employers can review and assess in order to improve their management of employees.
Mobile apps are clear and easy ways to deliver compliance information and training to employees.
By always being present in their mobile devices, employees can ensure that they always have access to the necessary information no matter where they are.
Whether a simple compliance reference app or a quiz app used for training purposes, mobile apps can help employees ensure that they are always aligning with company policies and that they can avoid mistakes.